|Back to ...|
St. Andrew Parishioner
Vol. 12 No. 8 December 2003
In this Issue ...
Rector, Curate and Staff, St. Andrew Parish Church
Thoughts on Advent
Advent is a wonderful time of year, a time of expectancy
and hope, a time of lighting candles and opening advent calendars, a time
when we wait for light to come out of the darkness again, a time when
we are reminded of the importance of light coming into our world in the
birth of Jesus at Bethlehem two thousand years ago.
Back to Top
Special Christmas Service
On Sunday, December 28 at 11:30 a.m. there will be a special Christmas Service for those who are unable to attend Services on a regular basis because of physical challenges, health or difficulties with attending a long Service. On this day we structure the Service to accommodate these persons. We are inviting members to assist in bringing other members out to this Service and to suggest that should you know anyone who may wish to attend, to invite and assist them to come. Given the renewed focus on the Visitation programme we are expecting that our Parish Groups will pay special attention to this.
Back to Top
We welcome Rev. Robert McLean as our new Assistant Curate effective December 15, 2003. We are particularly fortunate in having this addition to our staff. Mr. McLean was ordained a Deacon at the Ordination Service at St. Andrew's on St. Andrew's Day, November 30, 2003.
Back to Top
Annual Business Retreat
The Annual Business Retreat took place on Saturday, November 8, 2003. It was attended by members of the Church Committee, Chairpersons of Outreach Projects and Parish groups. The Agenda included reports from Outreach Projects - Moreton Park Cottages, St. Andrew Settlement, St. Andrew Care Centre and the SAPC Home for Girls.
The focus this year was on Youth Ministry and the challenges for 2004. Guest speakers were Miss Sasha Lumsden, Divisional Director of the Education and Youth Department of the Diocese (and a member of SAPC) and Rev. Garth Minott, Anglican Warden at the United Theological College. In order to increase participation in the discussion of this topic representatives of SAPC youth groups (Sunday School, Home for Girls, AYF, etc.) were invited to be present in addition to the Heads of these groups within the Church. The ensuing discussion and suggestions were valuable and are presented below.
Youth Ministry - challenges for 2004
Youth Ministry is a broad and far reaching topic and integral to the ministry of the church. The St. Andrew Parish Church community recognizes the importance of youth and young adults in the life of the church. If this were not the case, room would not have been made for Rev. Garth Minott and I to be able to share with you on this occasion. We must consider whether the St. Andrew Parish Church community can be considered a community that:
There are three aspects which we as a community could tackle in our journey to become a youth friendly congregation, as we plan for the year 2004 - facilitating our youth, informing our youth and making room for our youth.
In his presentation, Fr. Garth Minott, referred to Youth Ministry as a Ministry of Reconciliation.
Participation from the young visitors was vibrant and positive and there were several useful suggestions.
In the reports coming out of the Outreach projects a common need was for greater assistance and involvement by members of the church. The value of spiritual development and the need for counseling skills was emphasized. There is need for members of the laity to recognize that this area of work is not limited to the clergy.
Areas of need for laity involvement
Additional suggestions include - volunteers to assist the remedial teacher; mentors who would undergo training prior to being matched and who will have support group meetings; men to offer themselves to conduct devotions and give motivational talks to the boys; volunteer music teachers.
Back to Top
Landmark Palm Tree
On Saturday, November 8, 2003 the palm tree close to the belfry had to be removed. This was done because an area of weakness had developed in the trunk and it was feared that in the event of a heavy wind the tree could collapse and cause damage or injury. The decision to remove the tree was made on expert advice.
The tree was 101 feet tall and very likely greater than 100 years old.
A brief history of the Parish Church of St. Andrew by Frank Cundall, published
in 1931, contains a photograph showing the tree when it was very little
taller than the roof of the Church. A later photograph on the cover of
the publication Commemorating the Tercentenary Year 1664-1964 shows the
tree with the lower foliage on level with the top of the belfry. This
palm tree was a landmark and it is regrettable that it had to be removed.
Back to Top
MISS IVY REMEMBERS
Mrs. Ivy Stewart, affectionately known as 'Miss Ivy', is in Church every Sunday. If you do not see her at St Andrew's, where she has been a member for over 30 years, then she is at St Jude's, Stony Hill, with her daughter Pam and son-in-law Roy (R Anthony) Williams. What's unusual about being in Church every Sunday? Nothing, except that Miss Ivy will celebrate her 100th birthday on December 21, 2003.
On meeting Miss Ivy one is immediately struck by her cheerful smile and kind disposition. Although she has lost her sight she is grateful to God for her long life and good health. Her memory is good and in discussion she was able to recall some quite humorous incidents from her childhood days.
The seventh of nine children, Ivy Myers as she was, grew up as a Moravian in Brinkley, near Lititz in St Elizabeth. In 1935 she married William Stewart and went to live in Manchester. As there was no Moravian Church in the area she and the children attended St. Patrick's Church, Providence, where she served in many capacities including Superintendent of the Sunday school, organist and choir director. Her husband rode his horse to the nearest Moravian Church. A trained teacher, Miss Ivy spent over 30 years not only in several schools in her beloved St Elizabeth and Manchester, but also in the Canal Zone in Panama where she spent around nine years before her marriage.
After a long life of service to others, Miss Ivy is now content to live quietly and enjoy the company of her children - she had 6, but 2 have died - 11 grand and 8 great-grand children as well as good friends. She attributes her long life to the simplicity of her life and to her trust in God. It is therefore not surprising that one of her favourite hymns is "What a friend we have in Jesus". We congratulate her on achieving her century and wish her every blessing.
Interview and report by John Aarons.
Back to Top
Church Hall History
The first reference which has been found to a hall for the Church is contained in the St Andrew Parish Church Report for 1907. It said that the "Church Hall was seriously damaged in the earthquake, just before the Hall was shingled and repaired". This building was the old Boys School which was on the site of the recently demolished (2002) Half Way Tree Primary School at 4 Hope Road. Cundall says that "for many years the old Boys School served the purpose of a church hall"
In 1924 the buildings housing the old Boys and Girls School were demolished and the materials used in the construction of a new building to house a combined school on the site of the old Boys School. The Old Girls School was further up Hope Road and the site was sold to a Mr. Archibald McInnis for £125 and the proceeds used to help fund the new building. The corner stone of the new building was laid on 14 August 1924 and the school opened on 16 January 1924. The Church had decided to add a second floor to the building to serve as a Church Hall and in September 1924 the Diocesan Council approved a loan of £350 "towards building a Church Hall at the second floor of the new school at a cost of around £700." The new Church Hall was opened on 18 February 1925.
The new Church Hall however did not win favour from everyone. Mr. S. R. Cargill, a Church Warden, wrote the Rector, Canon Lovell, on 17 November 1925 stating that "I am disappointed at the so called Church Hall, it does not fill my eye at all, it is simply a loft on top of the school building". The Minutes of the Church Committee for July 22, 1926 records that he "referred to the unseemly noise of the entertainment held recently in the Church Hall by the All Saints Platoon of the Church Lads Brigade. The Rector expressed surprise that such a thing had happened, and promised to write to the Rev. W. G. Brown, Rector of All Saints on the matter".
The Church Hall was used for meetings of church groups and social functions. It was also rented out for functions at a modest fee of 10 shillings. However as the school expanded, the area had to be used for school purposes and could no longer be used as a hall. The Toc H Hall which was on the other side of the Hope Road began to be used for church meetings and functions.
In 1953 a decision was taken to build a new church hall behind the Rectory at 4 Hope Road with an entrance on Ellesmere Road. It was hoped to open the building on St Andrews Day, but the Governor was not available. It was therefore opened on December 8, 1953.
Report by John Aarons
Back to Top
Annual Congregational Meeting
The ACM will be held on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 9:30 a.m. This is an opportunity for members to participate in the discussions related to the Mission and activities of this Parish Church. The members are the Church and each member has a ministry and a responsibility to be involved in the process of mission and reconciliation. At this Meeting members of the Church Committee are elected as are our representatives to Synod. There will be discussion on the Annual Report and reports on the financial status at the end of 2003 and budget for 2004.
Annual Reports should be submitted by Parish and Outreach Groups who are asked to note the special requirements for presentation. These should be submitted to the Church Office by January 9, 2004 (for inclusion in the Annual Report to the Annual Congregational Meeting). The reports may preferably be e-mailed or sent on diskette. They should:
*Activity schedules/programmes for the year 2004 are required
for the Church diary to ensure that events are appropriately spaced on
the Church calendar throughout the year.
Back to Top
Church Calendar 2003
Looking ahead to 2004
----Published by the St. Andrew Parish Church, Diocese of Jamaica and the Cayman Islands----
Back to Top
Page last updated: January 1, 2005
For all questions and issues related to this site, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2004 - 2006, St. Andrew Parish Church